John is also believed to have founded the Dominican house of Holy Cross. The date given is 1243. (Image, left, shows St Francis meeting St Dominic.) Tralee, more precisely the enviorns of the Abbey of Holy Cross, became the mausoleum of the southern Geraldines and their descendants the earls of Desmond. The Abbey survives today as the name of a district in the town, but no trace of the old Doms remains.
The rival invader family the lords of Lixnaw controlled the territory to the north, between say Barrow Harbour and the Feale River. In this region, called Clanmaurice, we find the pre-invasion abbey of Kyrie Eleison (Cistercian) situated at Odorney. Kyrie Eleison was a granddaughter of Mellifont, whose first abbot was St Malachy, a friend of St Bernard, the founder of the Cistercians. Mellifont was the first Cistercian house in Ireland.